JAYDEN Hunt has signed a contract extension, meaning he will remain with Melbourne until at least the end of 2020.
The 22-year-old entered this season already locked in until the end of 2018, but the club has added on a further two years.
General manager of football operations Josh Mahoney said the dashing half-back/winger was a key part of the club’s future.
“We have been speaking to Nigel Carmody from TLA since early in the season and we are pleased that Jayden has signed a new three-year deal,” he told melbournefc.com.au.
“He is a hard worker, who wants to learn and the coaching staff have done a great job year on year continually developing his game.
“Whilst only 34 games into his career, Jayden has become one of the many young players we see playing an important role in our improvement as a club for many years.”
Hunt, who is set to play against Adelaide Crows at TIO Stadium on Saturday, has been an integral member of the team since making his AFL debut against Collingwood in round four last year.
He comes from strong football stock, with his great uncle Harold Rumney part of Collingwood’s famous four premierships from 1927-30.
His uncle Andrew Moir played 73 games for Melbourne from 1977-81.
Last year, Hunt was rewarded with the Harold Ball Memorial Trophy, as Melbourne’s best young player.
Drafted at No.57 in the 2013 NAB AFL Draft, Hunt was recruited from East Sandringham/Brighton Grammar.
His first two seasons were marred by injuries, predominantly a back problem, while he also suffered a broken jaw.
But since his first AFL match last year, he hasn’t missed a game.