Head of Development – Melbourne Football Club
Head of Development
General Manager AFL Football Performance
Full Time, Maximum Term
ABOUT THE CLUB
The Melbourne Football Club is the founding Club of the AFL. Our journey started 162 years ago when we wrote the rules of the game and then became the inaugural VFA/VFL/AFL Club and still carries the distinction of being the oldest professional sporting club in the world.
ABOUT THE ROLE
The Club is seeking to appoint a Head of Development to begin duties in December 2020. Reporting into the General Manager of AFL Football Performance, this is a rare and exciting opportunity to lead the Club’s Player Development Program as we head into the 2021 AFL Season.
Operating under strong values and leadership, this position presents an opportunity to work in a unique and dynamic high-performance environment.
The successful candidate will be responsible for the development of the playing list to assist them in fulfilling their potential both on and off the field, to assist the club in transforming their Premiership ambitions into reality.
KEY AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
- Direct, manage and drive the implementation of a highly effective, collaborative, and co-ordinated Player Development Program.
- Provide the highest-level supervision and strategic direction to the VFL Senior Coach to ensure alignment in philosophy, game style and standards across the AFL/VFL Programs.
- Lead the Player Development team and Development/Skills Coaches.
- Oversee the design of appropriate, individualised, and collective development programs for the AFL playing list.
- Work closely with the relevant internal staff to plan both short, medium, and long-term plans to improve players performance.
- Co-ordinate, formulate and attend regular meetings with key staff, coaches, and other Senior Managers. These will be to discuss specific strategy, collective and individual progress of players and staff, as well as critical outcomes.
- Be available on Match Days and other events which may be outside of normal business hours.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
The successful candidate will demonstrate a proven ability within the Player Development and/or Coaching area, has a deep understanding of what it will take to improve the performance of our playing list and has the drive and ability to be the conduit between coaches and players to enable the Club to achieve the ultimate success.
KEY COMPETENCIES, EXPERIENCE AND ATTRIBUTES
- Proven experience in a similar role within a high-performance sports environment.
- Demonstrated capability to create, implement and manage a co-ordinated program
- A strong understanding of how to nurture and develop people of all levels
- Excellent interpersonal communication and presentation skills, time management and planning skills.
- Work collaboratively with own direct department but also with coaching, list management, high performance, and other key staff members / groups.
- Ability to be flexible and adaptable in a changing environment.
- Passion for continuous improvement.
- Post Graduate Qualifications (desirable).
- National Police Clearance and Working with Children’s Check.
ON OFFER TO YOU
This position presents the opportunity to work in our newly developed high-performance facility at Casey Fields.
Your personal and professional development is important to the Club and we will support you to reach your goals. We provide a welcoming, safe, and flexible approach to work and provide an environment that benefits from and enables the best from everyone.
HOW TO APPLY
To be considered, please submit a cover letter and CV to email@example.com outlining your suitability for the role.
Applications close midnight Sunday 6 December 2020.
As we expect a high level of interest in the role, only those applicants short listed will be contacted.
The Melbourne Football Club is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from suitably qualified and diverse candidates.
Our Commitment to Safeguarding Children & Young People
Melbourne Football Club aims to provide children and young people with a positive and enriching environment that promotes their social, physical, or emotional development and love for the Club. We are committed to safeguarding children and young people in our care and ensuring that they feel safe and are safe. We expect representatives of the Club, regardless of their role or level of responsibility to support such an environment.
This role will be subject to relevant pre-employment checks, including a National Police Check and a Victorian Working with Children Check.
Football Technology Pathway Program
An exciting opportunity has become available for 3-4 individuals to volunteer within the club’s Football Department for the 2021 season. Reporting to the Football Analysis team, the successful individuals will contribute to a broad range of areas within all four of our teams in the AFL, VFL, AFLW and VFLW leagues.
This Volunteer Program would best suit students or graduates from either an Exercise & Sports Science, Information Technology, Statistical or Multimedia background, who have a strong interest and understanding of AFL Football.
Dates: December 2020 - October 2021
Contact hours: 10-25 hours per week, varies throughout the year/season and flexible to suit individuals.
Applications: To apply please email CV and Cover Letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications close Tuesday 1 December 2020.
Additional important information detailing the program can be found here.