Main content
Melbourne Football Club

Healy stands down from board

THE MELBOURNE Football Club wishes to advise that Greg Healy will be stepping down as a Director after two years of service on the Board.

Healy has been the Club’s Football Director since 2012 and oversaw significant change in the Football Department.

Healy cited the recent restructure of the Football Department and increased business commitments as the reasons for his decision to step down.

“Given the recent restructure of the Football Department and the confidence I have in the governance and stability at the Club, coupled with my increased business commitments, I have decided to move on from the board. I feel the Club’s in great hands under the stewardship of Glen Bartlett, Peter Jackson and Paul Roos and I know we are moving in the right direction.”

Melbourne President Glen Bartlett thanked Healy for his service.

“The board of the Melbourne Football Club thanks Greg for his valued contribution as a Director. Greg oversaw significant change in the Football Department and was a member of the recent coaching sub-committee. He will be missed around the board table,” he said.

Additionally, Bartlett stated that the Club would not seek a replacement in the Football Director role.

“Under the circumstances of Greg stepping down, the board took the opportunity to review its governance processes with regard to football and have decided that we will not have a pure ‘Football Director’ moving forward and will therefore not be recruiting a replacement in this role.”

Healy played 141 matches with Melbourne from 1984-93. He made his debut against Geelong in round six, 1984 and quickly made his mark with the Demons, winning the best and fairest award and leading the Club’s goal kicking in 1986. At just 22 years old, Healy was appointed Melbourne captain, taking over from the great Robert Flower. In his first season as skipper, Healy led Melbourne to the 1988 Grand Final – the Club’s first since 1964. Healy gave up the captaincy at the end of the 1990 for another Club great Garry Lyon. In 1991, after starting the season in top form, Healy suffered a season-ending knee injury and retired at the end of 1993, ending a fine career with the red and blue.