RUCKMAN Max Gawn has been placed on the long-term injury list, following an injury to his hamstring during training early in the pre-season.
Gawn will spend a minimum eight weeks on the LTI list, which ends on 22 March - a week before Melbourne's first round clash against Port Adelaide at the MCG on Sunday, 31 March 2013.
No replacement player has been nominated at this stage.
The Club’s Football Manager, Josh Mahoney, said, “This timeframe is consistent with his rehabilitation plan, and he is progressing well. We expect Max to return to playing football early in the season.”
The 208 cm tall missed the entire 2012 season after he tore his right meniscus and anterior cruciate ligament at training on 14 December 2011.
It was the second time he had suffered an ACL tear, having had one as a junior before he joined Melbourne via the 2009 NAB AFL Draft (No. 34 overall).
Gawn made his AFL debut in Round 11, 2011 against Essendon.
He played four matches in 2011 and showed some genuine promise.
Recently, Gawn told melbournefc.com.au of his excitement at the prospect of returning this year.
“I’m definitely excited to finally play some footy,” he said earlier this month.
“I’m a little bit nervous as well, because I want to try and get through the majority of the games.
“I’ve got no expectations yet. I just want to put games together. Once I get some consistency in my football, then one thing could lead to another.”
2:28pm May 24, 2013
2:24pm May 24, 2013
2:29pm May 23, 2013
12:21pm May 23, 2013